Friday, February 13, 2015

The Loss of Giants

The media world has lost either voluntarily or by the untimely clutches of death, giants in its field:  John Stewart, Bob Simon, Brian Williams, Robin Williams and most recently David Carr -- the New York Times columnist.  Here or below is the last discussion David Carr had with Glenn Greenwald and Laura Poitras.  One could see he was not in the best of health.  He collapsed and died shortly after the interview. 

Robin William's instruction to his students in "Dead Poet's Society" -- Carpe diem -- "Seize the day" holds true. Life is short and we know not each of our fate.  We must do what we can do when we can do it.

Robert Frost's  "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening" which, I think, says the same thing as I interpret "woods" as death's metaphor. 

Finally, below that Emily Dickson's immortal poem: "Because I Could not Stop for Death" never forgotten by me when it was recited by my cousin at his beloved partner's funeral.  Seize the day, indeed!

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening

His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Because I Could Not Stop for Death


He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality.

We slowly drove, he knew no haste,
And I had put away
My labor, and my leisure too,
For his civility.

We passed the school where children played,
Their lessons scarcely done;
We passed the fields of gazing grain,
We passed the setting sun.

We paused before a house that seemed
A swelling of the ground;
The roof was scarcely visible,
The cornice but a mound.

Since then 'tis centuries; but each
Feels shorter than the day
I first surmised the horses' heads
Were toward eternity.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-david-carrs-final-interview-with-glenn-greenwald-edward-snowden/

No comments:

NOT ANYMORE

  I wrote this last week and for the most part sat on it because I did not want my writing to imply anything against Israel. As stated agai...